For an athlete, an injury can be a significant setback in their career. It takes them away from the sport they love, possibly for months. Recovery from injury is no easy feat, but enhancing your body’s capacity to heal itself can speed up the process and even benefit your health holistically.
Here are some natural healing remedies and techniques you may want to consider.
Nutrients are a vital part of the natural healing process. Your body will have difficulty healing without the building blocks for muscle, bone, and ligaments.
- It reinforces your body’s muscle tissues, promoting injury repair. Eating the right amount of protein reduces the loss of muscle mass. Protein-rich foods include chicken, fish, tofu, beans, and nuts.
- Healthy Fats. Omega-3 fatty acids help restore function, control inflammation and heal tissues. Include healthy fats in your diet by eating fish, nuts, coconut oil, and flaxseeds.
- Vitamin C. It reduces inflammation and improves the range of motion. Oranges, tomatoes, broccoli, kiwis, and other citrus fruits contain plenty of vitamin C.
- This mineral helps heal broken bones and enhances the brain’s ability to signal nerves and contract muscles properly. Calcium-heavy foods include broccoli, okra, almonds, and dairy products.
- A lack of zinc can prolong the healing process. Meat, fish, shellfish, and whole grains are excellent sources of zinc. However, avoid zinc supplements, because they can cause copper deficiency.
Natural remedies are effective treatments for sports injuries with potentially fewer side effects compared to medication. Their benefits include alleviating pain, reducing swelling, and strengthening the immune system. Some good herbal medicines and supplements are:
- It helps decrease muscle spasms. Soaking in a warm tub with Epsom bath salts or ingesting magnesium glycinate are the best ways to use magnesium.
- Commonly known as turmeric, curcumin decreases inflammation and pain.
- Boswellia, castor oil, and proteolytic enzymes. These help decrease inflammation.
- It helps promote the healing of injuries such as fractures and bruises.
- Used with Calcarea phosphorica, it encourages bone growth and is helpful for broken or fractured bones.
Herbal medicine is typically integrated into nutritional therapy in a method called integrative medicine. This method is a well-rounded, holistic approach to healing.
Acupuncture is the practice of penetrating the skin with thin metallic needles, which stimulate specific points in the body. It increases beneficial hormones such as serotonin and endorphins. Both of these hormones promote blood circulation, reduce inflammation, and relieve pain.
Although inflammation is a natural response, excessive inflammation can be extremely harmful. If not drained properly, it can cause the tissue around the injured area to become permanently weaker. Acupuncture increases blood flow to the injured area, encouraging the tissues to drain the inflammatory materials from the damaged tissues.
Some therapy methods that contribute to the body’s natural healing process are:
- Massage Therapy. Aside from enhancing wellness, massage therapy is an effective way to reduce chronic pain and treat sports injuries.
- A physiotherapist can provide you with an individualized treatment plan that often includes stretching and strengthening exercises. It assists the recovery phase by building strength and increasing mobility.
- PRP Therapy. Platelet-rich plasma therapy is performed by taking your blood sample, separating the platelets, then reinjecting it into your body. It activates the body’s healing pathways, fostering healing, pain relief, and cell revitalization.
Natural Healing In Mankato, MN
A speedy recovery lies in a timely and appropriate response to injury. Your body can heal itself naturally if you give it a chance to do so. Natural healing is the best way to do this and also offers fewer side effects than traditional medications and other forms of treatment.
Whether you have a serious sports injury or just want to maintain a healthy body to prevent any injuries, Between the Bridges Healing Center is ready to serve you and promote holistic health and well-being. With our comprehensive care and state-of-the-art facility, you’ll be able to reach optimal wellness and enjoy a physically active lifestyle in no time.
To learn more about our healthcare services or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (507) 388-7488. You may also use our online appointment request form. We look forward to helping you achieve your best self — in mind, body, and spirit!