Herbs have been used for centuries as a means of healing the body, mind, and soul. Herbal remedies can be used to treat a wide variety of ailments, both physical and mental.
There are countless herbs that have medicinal properties, but these ten healing herbs stand out for their ability to support the body, mind, and soul.
- Ashwagandha: This Ayurvedic herb is a powerful adaptogen that helps the body cope with stress. It has been shown to improve sleep quality, reduce anxiety and depression symptoms, and boost brain function.
- Chamomile: This popular herb is known for its calming effect on the nervous system. Chamomile tea can help relieve insomnia, anxiety, and stomach upset. The flower heads can also be applied topically to soothe skin irritation.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has long been used as a natural remedy for digestive issues, like nausea and indigestion. It can also help regulate blood sugar levels, making it helpful for diabetics or those with insulin resistance. Additionally, cinnamon boasts anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. When taken in small doses, it’s safe for most people. However, pregnant women should avoid consuming large amounts of this spice due to its potential effects on uterine contractions.
- Echinacea: Also called coneflower, this North American native plant is best known as an immune-boosting supplement. Echinacea increases white blood cells, which fight infection, helping to shorten the duration of colds and flu when taken at the first sign of symptoms.
- Garlic: One of the most well-studied culinary herbs, garlic has potent antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. It’s also effective in lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels while improving circulation throughout the body.
- Ginger: An excellent digestive aid, ginger root can be consumed fresh, dried, or as a supplement in capsule or powder form to help with gas, bloating, heartburn, nausea, and indigestion.
- Green Tea: Green tea has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries to treat a variety of ailments. It is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, which help protect the body against disease and promote good health. Drinking green tea can help improve mental alertness and concentration, boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure, prevent tooth decay and bad breath, aid digestion, and weight loss, and even improve skin complexion.
- Lavender: A herb with relaxing effects, lavender can be used to ease tension headaches, calm nerves, and promote restful sleep. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your bathtub or diffuser for an extra dose of relaxation.
- Lemon Balm: This cheerful-looking herb has a lemon scent and flavor that refreshingly uplifts the spirit while promoting calmness at the same time. It’s also good for indigestion and nausea relief. Try adding lemon balm leaves to your next cup of herbal tea.
- Rosemary: Long associated with memory improvement, rosemary can also help reduce stress levels and improve circulation. Add some fresh rosemary sprigs to your next salad or soup dish for a flavorful boost. Or try making a homemade rosemary-infused vinegar by steeping fresh sprigs in white vinegar for several weeks, then straining out the plant material before using it in recipes.
Holistic Healing in Mankato, Minnesota
If you are interested in natural treatments for your body, mind, and soul, choose Between the Bridges Healing Center as your holistic treatment provider in Mankato.
Between the Bridges Healing Center is not your typical healthcare facility. Our board-certified integrative holistic medicine practitioner, Dr. Jeffrey J. Kotulski, and the rest of the team provide nutritional therapy and functional medicine to help ensure you are getting the right nutrients your body needs for healing and improving your wellness. We treat patients with chronic stress and anxiety, diabetes, hormonal imbalances, and many other conditions.